As we come to the end of the year, it’s time, like always, to take stock of the year that went by. For me, this year has been a big lesson in humility and discipline. At the beginning of the year, I had resolved to write an article a week. Seemed a tall order for someone like me who wrote only when I was in the mood or struck with an idea. To write every week for me was my personal Mount Everest.
Here’s what happened because I wrote:
- I ended up reading 52 books and countless magazines researching for the articles I wrote
- I started noticing people – their actions, their intentions, and their messages – conscious and unconscious
- I started remembering and recalling all the stories I had read; since now that I had written about them, recalling was easy
- I developed expertise in my areas of research – insights into human behaviour which became very useful in my assessments, leadership development and trainings
- I met new people with renewed interest wondering if there was a story in them!
- I started sharing my expertise with my team and clients who now value my knowledge much more than before.
- I understood the market and customer needs better
I also had my share of hurdles and pitfalls. Like the time I was unwell, and I had to write. And another time when we lost some readership because I had started sounding pedantic and preachy. And there were the highs when someone would write back saying how they completely resonated with what I had written. There were some critiques on how to change my language, my writing style, my content, my subject areas and more. Moving from offence to defence to gratitude has been a long journey for me.
At the end of the day, I am happy to share that I have become more disciplined, more rigorous and a happier version of myself. And thanks to you for reading my blog every week. I can’t express my gratitude enough. Just the fact that you took out the time from your schedule to read what I have written and then to write back overwhelms me.
Do add on your colleagues, friends who will like this blog and in case you have not been a big fan of my writing – do send it to your enemies!
Before signing off for the year, here’s a quick recap of some of our most popular blogs.
Last Sunday, I was at a bookstore with my kids. Yes – I still visit bookstores inspite of Amazon & Flipkart. After a long debate on books and the prices, we finally zeroed on two books for my daughters. Read more.
Last week I had the good fortune of hearing Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia play at a concert. His music transports you into a world of magic. His musical journey however has a very unlikely beginning. Read more.
I recently watched Sachin – a Billion Dreams. More of a documentary, less of a movie. But I must say – a very interestingly shot documentary. The movie brings out the essence of success in a beautiful way. I would recommend it for watching with kids. Read more.
Diwali has a special significance in Indian culture. A reason to celebrate life, a break from the monotony of work, a time to declutter our life, an annual encounter with family & friends and nowadays, it’s another reason to shop. Read more.
Wishing you and your family a happy and prosperous New Year!